Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Goodbye Shelby


Today was not a good day for the Itinerant house.  We said goodbye to our lab-mix of 16 years, Shelby. She went peacefully, but man o man is there ever a hole in our hearts.

I gave her to my wife Xmas, 1997 so she could have a jogging companion...'cause jogging or running is against my deep religious beliefs. (I've yet to find it in the Bible, but I will. I will.) She was very fast and a joy to watch in the dog parks. Her mom was 100% lab and the dad we had no idea.  Whatever it was, was a fast breed...that also hated water.  She avoided water like a cat.

She loved walking and would slow down when we would turn around to go home. Before walks she would bite at her leash...in fact when younger she bit through a couple.  As she got older it was just her way of playing and would only gnaw at it playfully.

She fit our family perfectly and we're going to miss her but have an incredible 16 years of memories.

Thank you for letting me voice this.

7 comments:

  1. dogs really put paw prints on your heart, I have 3 at home that are my little kids, sorry for your loss and hope that when you have had your period of mourning the dog you need will find you.
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of your loss of your beloved pet. 16 years is a long life - that said, that is 16 years of attachment as a true family member. I know you will heal your hurt, but you will always remember her. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you and your wife I know that void too well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelby sounds like a pretty remarkable dog, and having lived so long, I'm sure she had a very loving and fulfilling life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete