Saturday, September 15, 2012

Battletech - Why Do You Do Me This Way

I want to like you. I really do.

I start getting into you – I read your back story and pick up a couple of novels. I start looking at the forums and finding all I can on you. It’s kind of like stalking.

I may even go as far as purchasing something, a source book, a mini, perhaps a map pack.

Then. I play a game. It’s enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong.

But then something happens. Is it a lack of respect? Boredom? Whatever “it” is. “It” inevitably leads me to lose complete interest.

The first time this happened, I put away the novels, perhaps even exchanging them at the used bookstore.  I sold/gave away a bunch of my stuff.

However, it’s now the second time this has happened. I stopped reading the novels. I played a game, a couple this time. And I’m done…for now. I had my fill and now I can move on to my regularly scheduled games. This time I won’t sell my stuff. (Lesson learned.)

What is it about this game that does that? I go in full-in. I’m excited to play. This time I even painted a couple minis. The back story and history is rich and fun. There’s just something about it.


Battletech, please understand. It’s not you. It’s me.

Always yours,
Itinerant Hobbyist

2 comments:

  1. Played it a lot when it was new. Since then it's undergone er some changes. I don't think I will go back. Great fun at the time but I've changed. I guess that's another it's me not you line LOL

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love BattleTech, and sometimes I just hate it. Whatever, it has been in my life for 28 years, and I'm still playing despite the faults. Do I love it? Yes. Do I end up hating it at time? Yes. Why? It promises more than it can deliver. What it delivers is good, but it is less than the promise of giant mecha goodness.

    ReplyDelete