Tuesday, September 6, 2011

GMing - Request Letter for Playtesters

Below is the email I sent out to a group of miniatures gamers that I hope will be able to provide a bank of playtesters to help make this game a success. I wish I had something to offer them...Let you know how it goes.

Hello all,
I thought I would start with this group because I've gamed with you before at Jerry's for Command Decision. Click on my blog link to see the video  and write ups of the Moselle and Barenton games we played.

I'm GMing my first ever game at CommandCon. I'm taking the plunge, big time. The only miniatures games I've played (besides a some solo runs through some different games) have been Command Decision with Jerry and David H, and Rapid Fire with Scott at Cons and Jerry's house. Anyway, I've run through some solo games of Blitzkrieg Commander and really enjoy it for it's fast play and fairly straightforward mechanics. Compared to CD it definitely pares down some data and events, but it seems to give a reasonable simulation of WWII combat. It's based off the Warmaster system.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get 2-3 playtests of the scenario I'm designing to make sure it's a good con scenario and to practice my Con-Teach-A-Game speech. You wouldn't need to show up to all of them. I submitted to Adam that this would be for 2-4 players in a four hour slot (I'm shooting for the game to take 2-2.5 hours). Basically, what I'm asking: is there any interest among this group in playing this 1-3 times before the con? And, if you're interested, what days of the week work best for you and/or do you have any weekends that stand out as "Not Available".   I'm going to have to squeeze 1 or 2 of these in on a weeknight. I would do this at my house in Lake St Louis.

I imagine the first playtest will be very crude - possibly some unpainted minis, simple felt, etc for terrain as I figure out the best layout, etc for the map. I have some terrain but will probably need more and this will help me decide what I need.

What I picture is this: First playtest will help me narrow down what forces should be used. What tweaks to the scenario VC and other details. I will also figure out what terrain is needed. I will get a feel for what rules are tripping people up and things I can do to improve the experience.
Second test: This will determine final forces, scenario conditions, what play aids are required, and final terrain layout.
Third test: final run-through and fix any minor bugs and glitches, make any last minute play aid changes.

I know schedules are tight and many may be helping Jerry with his JR game, but any feedback will greatly help. Frankly, watching Jerry put on a game at the cons and his house inspired me to take the plunge. The joy of teaching others a game I enjoy and helping them play through a scenario/adventure is very intriguing and something I want to try. Way out of my comfort zone, but who knows.

I'm conducting this game in 6mm.

If you know of anyone that might be interested in trying this out, please feel free to bring them along.

As soon as I see if there is any interest, I'll come up with some dates.

Thank you in advance for any help or feedback,

Todd Reed
www.itineranthobbyist.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment